Let’s try to use the form “would have + past participle”. For each sentence, say what would have happened if things had been different. There are no right or wrong answers, if you want me to check for mistakes, leave your answers in the comments box or on my Facebook page.
Here’s an example.
The France/England match ended in a draw.
If France had played better, they would have won
1. Social networks like Facebook and Twitter helped organise the revolution in Tunisia
2. I got up late this morning and missed my train to work
3. I wanted to pick her up at the airport, but she didn’t tell me she was coming (pick up = aller chercher)
4. Steve Jobs invented a lot of things. It’s a pity he died young.
5. I didn’t know it was your birthday yesterday.
6. Thank God Marine LePen wasn’t elected president