This video explains some of the basic prepositions in English.
Il vaut mieux apprendre quelques exemples par coeur, parce que c’est difficile d’établir des règles. Les prépositions employées pour l’heure, les temps, les dates sont:
on, in, at
faites ce petit exercice:
1. I always get up _______ 6 O’clock
2. My appointment is _________ Monday
3. Most people take their holidays _______ July or August
4. I like to do most of work _______ the morning
5. What do you do ______ the weekend?
6. Owls are nocturnal. They do their hunting _______ night
7. I stay up late ______ the weekend, but I go to bed early _____ the week
1. I always get up at 6 O’clock
2. My appointment is on Monday
3. Most people take their holidays in July or August
4. I like to do most of work in the morning
5. What do you do at/on the weekend?
6. Owls are nocturnal. They do their hunting at night
7. I stay up late at/on the weekend, but I go to bed early in the week
Just a little reminder, these prepositions are hard to predict so must be learned by heart:
On Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc
On the weekend
In January, February, etc
In the morning, the afternoon, the evening
In three days (dans 3 jours – evenement futur)
In the Spring, Summer, Autumn (Fall), Winter
In the week
At 10 O’clock
At the weekend (on is OK too)
Complete the sentences using the following time prepositions:
for, to, by, from, until, since, during, while, on, at, in
1. I haven’t seen a good film _________ months.
2. I’ve been waiting here _________ 9 o’clock.
3. Many people left the cinema _________ the film because it was so boring
4. You can have a shower __________ I cook dinner
5. Trains in Britain are really awful. They never arrive ______ time
6. He’s not a close friend but I see him _______ time ____ time
7. I was born _____ the 11th of November, _____ 7:00pm
8. You must reply to this e-mail ____ friday next week.
9. I’m sorry but I won’t be able to give you an answer _____ I have spoken to the manager.
10. The firemen came just _____ time to save the girl.
11. _____ the time I arrived at the station, the bus had left.
- from – to
- on – at
left – gauche
right – droite
straight ahead/straight on – tout droit
a block – en anglais américain c’est la distance entre deux rues: “walk two blocks and turn right” – marchez jusqu’à la deuxième rue à droite et prenez-la
ATM (automated telling machine) – distributeur de billets